CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 17, 2009

the girl effect

Have you heard of it? You may have seen it on a Oprah a few days ago. I first heard of it a couple years ago when I was in my bedroom folding laundry, watching a documentary on Nova.

Then it was re-introduced to me about a month ago when Rory came home from school having attended a seminar by Nicholas Kristof. He brought home the book, Half the Sky which he wrote with his wife. Rory walked in, handed the book to me, and said he knew it was something I would like. He was right. It is an amazing book that really opened my eyes up to a problem that is going on all over the world. It is AMAZING and it will teach you more about how we can fight against the oppression of women. More women have died from this than soldiers who have fought in any modern day wars. It's not a fight against genders because many of the offenders are women themselves. One example: mothers in India are 3 times more likely to get their sons vaccinated than their daughters. The thing that infuriates me the most is human trafficking. Reading about it, seeing pictures of young girls who have suffered through it, makes me want to do something.

A couple days ago I was scrolling through my DVR and I saw that Nicholas Kristof and his Wife Sheryl WuDunn were quests on Oprah. I was super excited because I have been telling people to read their book for like a month. This video was shown on Oprah and it's what that documentary I was watching was about. The organizations that give loans to women in impoverished countries. http://www.girleffect.org/

When I was watching the documentary at first, I wondered why people would care. I knew it was cool that they were helping these few women, but the key is that by helping just a few women, they are making a huge impact on others to follow. I just think it's so amazing!

This probably doesn't make a lot of sense.... but if you want to know more about what I am talking about go and read the book!

3 comments:

Francis Family said...

Hey Lori - I watched a similar program (maybe the same one on Nova). It was an organization that went to Peru and gave micro loans (around $50-$100) to women to help them get their businesses going. One lady was cleaning fish and selling them to the market - so crazy! In my Spanish class this semester they announced an upcoming trip to Guatemala to do just this: giving micro loans to women and teaching them about how to use their money effectively. It sounds amazing. Maybe you should go :) Kylee

The Sayamas said...

Kylee-
I have tried to see your blog a few times but it's private. Will you invite me? :) LoriSayama@gmail.com
That is definitely the same program I watched. I think it would be so awesome to go to Guatemala. DO you have any more details or know of anyone I could contact? I know it's a far stretch considering I have kids and all, but I LOVE Guatemala!

Adam, Annie, Josan and Calvin said...

Wow this is all so crazy. I will need to read that book for sure. I dont know how much of it i ll be able to read though...that kind of thing tend to make me feel so sick inside. It makes me feel overly blessed to live where we do... :(