Sunday, January 25, 2009
Any Ideas?
We've been trying to think of a fun vacation to take this year but aren't sure where to go. Has anyone been on a really fun vacation? We kind of want it to be somewhat close, I want water and sun, and it also has to be toddler-friendly. I'd really like to go to Mexico, but I wouldn't want to take the kids there and I'm not ready to leave Eli yet. Plus, we've already been there a few times. I was thinking California or the Oregon coast. Does anyone have any good advice or ideas? I'd love to hear them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
You never mentioned the Oregon coast! That would be awesome! Not as sunny as cali though, but a good idea, lots of rentable beach houses.
My family just went to San Diego said it was a blast tons of kid stuff to do sea world, lego land etc. We didn't go cause we are going to disneyland in a few weeks. Good luck let me know what you guys end doing
Hey Lori, I just wanted to put in my two-cents about the Oregon coast. We live about 1 hr away from Newport, which is on the central coast, and it is really pretty and has the world's largest sea cave where a bunch of sea lions live. And I've heard that Astoria is beautiful and it's close to Portland, where they have a lot of things to see like a zoo, and a huge rose garden, and some Chinese and Japanese gardens. If you're going to drive down the coast, I would suggest driving south, because then you can pull off into the turnoffs to see the sights. If you go north, then it's a lot harder and sometimes you can't pull off when you want to. The beaches are beautiful, but it's not going to be warm enough to swim, the water stays pretty cold. And Cami is right, there are a lot of cute little rental houses right on the beach. Sorry this is so long, if you decide to vacation in Oregon, I'd be happy to tell you more.
Good luck, and have fun!
I think San Diego would be a really fun family trip and is family friendly. I went there a few years ago, but wouldn't mind going back. Sean and I really enjoyed are trip up to Seattle, so I think the Oregon coast would be beautiful to go see, but not as sunny as you would like.
My sister and her family went to the Redwoods traveling down the coast.
One of our favorite places to take our kids is Zion! We love to go hiking. We also enjoy Arches but it is a lot of driving for little ones and no water.
We took the kids to Bear Lake last summer and it was so much fun. It is super close, like a 2 hour drive, and inexpensive. There are condos up there right on the lakeshore. You walk a ways out to the water, but the sand is soft and great for playing and the water stays shallow for ever so you can sit and relax while the kids play in the water. I know it is not exotic, but it is really fun. My kids called it the beach and they were just asking when we could go back!
I really want to go to San Deigo and do the wildlife safari place (It would be perfect for Ethan). I guess you drive around and see animals like Elephants and Giraffes up close. That is where I'd go.
That's ok about the camera, I have the patience of whoever the opposite of Job is so I went ahead and bought one off ebay. All the reviews I read were really good, but the dang thing still hasn't arrived (it's only been technically 5 business days since I ordered it, so too soon to call and complain about it not being here yet, when it's supposed to take 2-7). It's the Sony alpha 200. It should be a good starter, and I don't plan on getting too fancy, probably ever, so hopefully it'll last a long time.
As far as vacations go, I've always wanted to visit the Oregon coast, but San Diego area would be great as well. We're actually heading to San Diego in March and taking the kids, but we're only going to the beach as far as I know. Too bad they don't have Sesame Street land or something, that's all Shiloh would be able to identify with :).
I forgot to answer your other question: Asher is definitely darker than Shiloh ever has been (and may ever hope to be, poor kid, he's SUPER white). We call Ash our little Mexican. When he was born LeRand looked at me funny and made a few extramarital jokes, but he has LeRand's nailbeds, so I use that in my defense :). Poor Asher will probably be the only caucasian kid in 5th grade with a mustache.
Oh... you should go to San Diego. There's Sea World, or the zoo, or the beach. I think the best place to stay is Mission Beach... you can get a hotel right accross the street from the beach and it's close to everything. I once stayed at the Catamaran Hotel there and it was awesome and affordable.
josh and i fell in love with oceonside. it is not to far from san diego. we stayed in this huge condo complex located on the beach. the condo we stayed in we could see the oceon and hear the waves.
this is where rick and bev go i think every year.
it has been awhile since we have been there but we still talk about that trip alot.
ok... so when i read what i put ocean didn't look right. i really do know how to spell! woops!
One of my dream vacations is to rent a really nice car and drive from Seattle down to San Diego, seeing the sights on the way. Of course, hitting up Disney Land, San Diego Zoo, Universal Studios and Sea World as we go. Oregon would be sweet. I hear it is very, very beautiful, but also very wet. If you want sunny and beach, somewhere in Cali at the right time of the year usually does the trick.
Tiff & Josh-can you email me an invite to view your blog? I always try to look at it and forget that it is private. And I don't have your email address anymore.
Hey Lori,
its Jen DeGiulio, remember me? Your little boys are so cute & getting so big! Hope things are going good :)
I went to the coast when I was younger and loved it. I think Cali would be fun with the kids though. I need a fun vacation too. Let me know what you figure out and I might have to think of something fun for our family to.
I would say Californis. I want to do the Oregan coast bad yself but I hear it is never really warm. Yeah you have the beach but it's cold.
Soo maybe it's just me... but I think ya'll should come visit US in Okinawa. Its exotic & very warm... Okay I was dreaming for a minute, but it was an idea none the less and Aaron & I REALLY miss everyone back home & wish people would come visit. It would be expensive to fly over with 2 kids, and that long 17hr flight with toddlers would NOT be fun either. Since Japan is not an option, San Diego/ Anaheim California would be awesome :)
Post a Comment