CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Where We're At

I can't sleep. It's a simple fact that I have gotten used to over the past week and a half. The dark circles under my eyes are becoming a staple on my face. Even when my kids are peacefully sleeping I can't get my mind to shut down long enough to let me rest. It's racing, calculating numbers, percentages, pros and cons, etc.
It was last Saturday when Rory and I decided we wanted to look into bulding a home, because I had heard about the whole $6,000 grant Utah was giving away to the first 1,600 people to buy a newly constructed home. So we went and checked this place out. We loved it, but didn't think there was any way we could afford to live in such a place. The model home was AMAZING. So we went on our way. The whole weekend we couldn't get it out of our minds. I talked to a lender and found out how much we could qualify for. I found out there is a huge difference between what you CAN qualify for and what you WANT to spend. No wonder so many people get into homes they really can't afford. Then we went back to the same place and walked through one of their homes being built. We decided it was the floor plan we would have if we went with this builder.
We decided to meet with another builder the next day, and the sales lady was very nice, she gave us some addresses of lots they could build on for us. So we drove by all these other really nice lots, but they just did not feel right. Some of them were located very close to the first neighborhood we looked at so we decided to just drive through it. I knew it then. Nothing would compare. It just felt right. It already felt like home. I started crying, ROry (who was already stuck on this area and builder) looked at me like I was crazy but knew what I was feeling because he felt it, too.
A couple days later we went back to the original builder and told her where we're at-what we want to spend and we asked her what we need to do to get it for that cost. Now I must say that these are not the typical builders. They are selling houses left and right, every time we are there it is full of people staking claim on their lot. So, by this time the two lots we were deciding between had already been sold--in just a couple days! So we were stuck with only 3 lots left that all have a lot premium (meaning they have an extra price because they are nicer for one reason or another). The next phase of development would definitely be out of our price because they were huge cul-de-sac lots. So....we put money down on a lot. We actually love this lot-it was the one we wanted from the start but didn't want it because it had a premium. But it turns out the premium isn't so bad and the lot is just a couple doors down from a new park they are building in the neighborhood. We have an appointment to sign the contract and all that on Wednesday and we have until Friday to make up our minds for sure about this place because we have until then to get our money back. I've been pretty sure about it the whole time but now I am starting to have doubts. Can we really afford it? Can I handle being extremely house poor until..who knows when? Are we going to be able to even buy things for the house once we have it i.e. yard, blinds, fridge, a new table, etc.
I feel pretty sure because every time we have gone out looking Rory and I have said a prayer in the car before we even start driving. It feels right, but there are still major doubts. We are going to the Temple tomorrow and we will decide for sure then.
So that's where we're at. I hope we make the right choice, I am so scared. I guess I will let you know later this week, and maybe post some pictures of the lot.

8 comments:

Dustin and Kellie said...

It is definately a scary thing. But on the pro-side of things, you guys seem to be giving it alot of thought and are, at least, going about things the right way. I think so many people just jump on building or buying a house because they want it so bad, or that oh so typical- everyone else has what I want, and they don't think things through. And that is why they get into trouble. You guys are considering things like yard costs, furniture cost, if something breaks can we afford the repairs? I think whatever you decided, at least you'll know that you were smart about it going in. Prayers definately are a good thing! Good Luck!

Steph said...

Aww Lor that's so exciting!! I know what you mean about the doubts thing, I remember how scared I've been about big decisions.. I don't want to get all weird about it but you said that it's felt right and that you've had a good feeling about it and as I was reading your post this scripture just popped into my head so I thought maybe I should share it, it's D&C 6:22-23.. When I've had doubts about things I've felt good about before, etc. that scripture has helped me out so much, sorry if that's weird and intrusive but I love ya Lor and let me know if I can help with anything okay?

The DeGiulio's said...

That is an exciting and scary thing! Especially when you are new home buyers. I think if you have prayed about it and it feels right I'd go for it. It is hard being house poor, but you get used to it and your just so grateful, and love your new house. I kind of see it as it can go two different ways and it does kind of depend on your personality and needs.

You can stay where your at, have extra money and go do all the fun things you like
or you can move into a house, love it, have fun in it and cut back on some of the fun things you do.

Overall I think living in a house is totally worth it. Even though I cant go shopping as much or out to lunch. Im grateful and happy to be in a nice home that I love.
Good luck !!!

Cherie said...

Did you know I look at your blog?? I thought I would give my opinion too. Trent and I bought a house last Ocotober, we can afford the payment, we can pay our other bills, we can go to a movie if we want or go out to eat. But unless we eliminated that stuff and/or found a way to lower our bills, we can't put much into savings. We are house poor and it is stopping us from progressing, or at least slowed it down. You guys I am sure, are in a totally different place than we are (you already have 2 kids, for example) so it is hard to compare. I don't regret buying our house necessarily, it still seems to have been the best option for us, I just wonder...
Like you said, you will be house poor til who knows when, just make sure you don't mind that!
That being said, I don't think it is bad at all to be house poor if it is the perfect house and you can afford it and understand you will be tight!

Kyle, Jess, and Max said...

YEAH! That is super exciting! Scary, I know, but SO exciting! I think you guys will make the right decision! You are very smart people. And when things just fall into place, like they seem they are, I think it is definitely the right thing to do! Good luck, and let us know if you need anything from us! Love YA!

The Obergs said...

Lori this is super exciting! I can't even imagine what it would feel like to actually put money down on a lot. It's going to be totally worth the dark circles under your eyes! Best of luck!

hoLLY said...

oh my heck we are going thru the exact same issues with buying a new home, Its so hard I should just copy what you wrote and paste it on my blog cause I have been going thru the same feelings! What builder are you looking at? and what area? we have been looking at Castle Creek they have such nice upgrades included in all their homes anyway we should chat, haha good luck!

Marriott's said...

We just bought a house before we sold our old house. We actually had a buyer and he called us the day after we closed on our new house and told us he had to back out because he was being transfererd to Oregon for work. We were so mad and so scared, but we both knew it was right in our hearts. So go with what your heart is telling you. It will never lead you astray. You may think why sometimes, but only God knows why in the end. Good luck and we hope that everything goes well for you guys.