CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 18, 2009

I'd love your opinion...

I have a lot to catch up on, but I'm not going to. We have a bit of a dilemma and I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the matter-especially if you have experience!

Things are moving along...very....slowly...with..our house. (Or so it seems to me!)We have gone to the design studio, we've got everything picked out for our house, and we're so excited about it. We've just been waiting for all the paperwork to be done and all that so that they will actually START building. The builder called Rory today, (I think she's a little scared of me) and wanted to know if we would switch lots. She wants us to move one lot to the west. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal but it would put us on the corner. She said it would probably make our yard bigger and that they would pay for the fence that went along that road. It would make us a little closer to the park. I would love a bigger yard and I would love for them to pay for the fence. But the corner? I'm just not sure.

So what do you guys think? Would you do it? I guess it would depend on how much bigger our lot would be, and how much almond colored vinyl fences are? I just don't know. I have always thought corner lots were a little harder to re-sale, but is that true if it has a bigger yard and a fence?

17 comments:

Becky said...

We have never built a house, but about 8 months ago, we did buy a corner house. I LOVE that it has a bigger yard and a side yard. The only downside to it is that our yard doesn't have the fence on the road side of our house. So if they are going to pay to put in your fence for you, I don't see any downside to it...but that's just me! I love our corner house!

Steph said...

I, too, have never built a house (obviously :) but it sounds like a good deal to me! I don't think you'd need to put the other part of the fence in right away, but then again, I have no idea.. Personally, some of my favorite houses that I've seen have been corner houses, I don't know why, maybe it's because the yards look bigger, etc. but I just like them :) Sorry my comment didn't really help since I don't have much experience but go with your gut, Lor! I'm sure that whatever you guys decide will be awesome, I can't wait to see the process and the finished product!

P.S. Oh and Sky is still pretty much sold on us moving out there within the next year, hehe.. He thinks (and I agree :) that it would be totally awesome to live close to you guys! I wish we could build a house now too, but just not possible since we just barely switched to 1 income :( Hopefully soon though!!

Adventures of Matt and Rae said...

The only thing is, to also consider is that on corner lots you pay double property taxes at the end of the year. Since the city takes care of TWO of the streets for you. Personally I wouldn't do it since you chose that lot you chose for a reason.

Steph said...

Hmmm.. I wouldn't want to be in a different phase! I want to be by you guys, we drove past and love the little neighborhood, it's so cute! I love that it's so close to the elementary and church and park, it's perfect!! Do you know if you can get lots and not build for a little bit? I was trying to talk Sky in to walking through their model home but we were busy that day, maybe we really should :)

Oh, and about piano lessons, I'm actually taking a 4 year old (remember Regan from our old ward? :) I wouldn't mind taking younger kids, especially if I know them, like in your guys' case.. The only reason I put an age limit on there was so that I wasn't getting a ton of little kids who aren't really ready for lessons.. I think it'd be way fun to teach Kaemon if you wanted me to start teaching him the basics :)

hoLLY said...

we just bought a corner lot and we love it. I love having a bigger yard and if they are going to pay for a fence I say heck yes, but then again dont do it if you are hesitant and you LOVE the one you picked. and yes building takes forever!! we would have loved to but I couldnt handle livin at the inlaws that long and plus I am very impatient! good luck let me know what you decide!

Cami said...

COrner lots sometimes tend to have smaller BACK yard, and huge side yards, which would annoy me personally. If the back is still big, then I would say go for it! Also, when they DO fence it, they typically WONT go all the way to the sidewalk, they will put the fence right along the side of the house, making your backyard small, and then you have this huge side yard in your front you will never use. If you dont get what I'm saying, I'll give you some examples in my 'hood. :)

The DeGiulio's said...

The perks to moving to the corner lot are nice but personally I would rather stay with the one I orginally picked.

The Sayamas said...

The thing is, we didn't really pick our lot, it was just pretty much the last one in our phase without a huge premium that was thousands of dollars. SO there aren't really emotional attachments, but I don't know.

Thanks for all the advice!

Nick and Kandi said...

Nick used to be in real estate and he said it sounds like your builder made a mistake or they wouldn't ask you to switch. He said to ask them for a discount for the inconvenience. Maybe they'll knock some of the price off.

Nick and Kandi said...

I guess the fence is compensation... but is it enough?

Cason Clan said...

Have you looked at the lot? If they were going to pay for half of my fence I would totally do it! Plus it is more yard... even if it might be a little side yard...that is perfect for garden space! I would do it.

Ryan and Shalee said...

I would have to know where the backyard faces. If it faces the west no I wouldn't because I know Hooper and afternoon bbqs or playing in the backyard isn't always the greatest due to the sun. But that's my opinion

Amber said...

Just thought I'd share my two cents. We have a corner lot and LOVE the space! But I have to agree with some of the other comments... the fence thing needs to be clear. We have a fence on our backyard that is chain link and we put it up without telling the city. It provides safety from the high traffic road but I have NO privacy whatsoever! We decided this year to put up a privacy fence and there were so many restrictions for corner lots!! Now if we do try to put up a privacy fence it has to be 20 feet from the road. That pretty much takes away the whole backyard. I would suggest looking into the restrictions on corner lots for your area. It may help you make up your mind. I do love having a corner lot, but there are down-sides too.... like more grass to mow and an extra amount of edging along both sides of your backyard fence. Just some things I thought I would share. Good luck on your decision.

Amber said...

Oops! I forgot to add, we made our blog private. If you want an invite send me an email...
amber_gher AT yahoo DOT com

Landon Family said...

You would pay Double property taxes and it can be allot harder for re-sale. I would stay with the first one :)

The DeGiulio's said...

Hey,
I work at the DownEast basics in the newgate mall. Its fun but I wanted something that paid a little more for the summer. But I get discounts at the homestore too which is nice because we always buy our jeans there. Thats too bad about the dresser, what a bummer. Good luck finding some bunk beds.

Thanks, Im always so thankful for my family and friends who keep encouraging me through school, its tough sometimes but will be way worth it once I graduated.

Steph said...

Oh man, totally know what you mean about Jon & Kate, I thought they both seemed so different, it was weird!! I kept telling Sky (cause he'll watch this show with me :) that it just seemed like Kate didn't really care anymore because on seasons passed she always seemed stressed if Jon wasn't there or not doing something right to the point of her getting after him and being raunchy a lot and stuff but last night it was just like "yah, Jon took the weekend off, he's not here, whatever.." kind of thing.. It was so weird!!

I can't believe that they might be getting divorced, it's just so sad to me!! It's like I almost want to email them and be like "you can do it! Stick it out!" I was talking to Sky about it last night and I wonder if a big part of it is that Jon is now a "stay-at-home dad" because if I asked Sky to stay home and I went out and worked and stuff, he would go crazy!! Not that he doesn't like spending time with Selma and I, that's not it at all, it's just for him he has to be the provider and be the one bringing home the bacon and he would rather work and provide for us than be the stay-at-home dad, I think it would definitely cause a big riff for us if we did what Jon & Kate are right now.. I hope that doesn't sound bad, you know what I mean?

So who's the dork now? Haha, we could totally have this huge conversation about that show..