I was able to hold Eli for a minute before they took him and cleaned him off and ran all the regular tests. It was then that they found that he was not gettting enough oxygen into his lungs. They decided he needed to go to the NICU to be on oxygen and get it all figured out. They told me it would only be for a little while. This was so hard, I only got to see him for a minute and I could not even see him when they were cleaning him off and then they took him and told me it would be a couple hours before I could go see him in the NICU. Rory and I had a little time just the two of us. We decided to have a family prayer so we had our families come in and then, when they were allowed, Rory, my dad, and Rory's dad went to the NICU to give Eli a blessing. Rory came back and told me about the blessing and immediatly we both felt so much comfort and knew that little Eli would be ok. Then a doctor came in and talked to us and told us that he would need to be in the NICU for at least a couple days, maybe more. I was finally able to go visit him and it was so hard to see him laying in that lttle bed all hooked up to machines and not be able to hold him and nurse him. The same day he was born his lungs were working prefectly and he really had no other reason to be in there. But they still had to keep him in case his lab tests came back that he had some type of infection. We learned that the last result would be Sunday morning but that even if it was negative we still might not be able to bring him home. When they started taking him off the IV they started him on formula which I was not happy about. There was a nurse there who we were unfortunate enough to have most of the time and I could not stand her. She argued with me about everything, she told me how to burp, hold, feed, swaddle, how long I could hold him, etc. It was so hard to sit and watch someone else feed your baby. She insisted she do it the first few times and they would not even let me breast feed. Having a healthy baby in the NICU is extremely difficult. One of the hardest parts was when I had to go back to my room and I would walk by the other rooms and hear all the little babies crying and know that my baby could be crying and I was not even the one who was there to care for him. It was also hard because they would only let us hold him every 3 hours and for only a half an hour so Rory and I would get 15 minute turns. He would usually cry when we put him back in his bed but the nurse would not let me pick him up, she would say, "Just pat his back". It was so unnatural. On Saturday night Rory and I decided it would be best for him to go home and sleep with Kaemon who was abviously sleep deprived. My mom brought me a book and Rory and I headed down to the NICU for our time to hold Eli, Rory stayed for a while then had to go get Kaemon. By this time the doctor had agreed (much because of my persistence and forcefulness) that we could start out his feedings with me breastfeeding him. So I fed him and he ate really well, but I had the annoying nurse keep coming in through my curtain dividers and telling me how to do things. She sat and told me how to burp him, which took most of his feeding time. (They would not let him eat past the half hour he was allowed out of his crib.) So when it came time to put him back he was still eating and I could tell he had to poop. I told her I was not going to put him back yet. She went off on me. I told her I understood but that what I needed her to do was walk right back out of the curtain and give me some privacy with my child. She said, "I will let you have 10 minutes." That just set me off. I went off on her and yelled at her that she had no right to let me do anything because he was my child. She still had the nerve to keep arguing with me so I said, "I need to you to leave." She finally did. I got Eli to eat a little more, poop, I changed his diaper, and put him in his bed. Of course the reason they would not let me hold him was so that he could "get the adequate rest he needed" which was not possbile if he was asleep in our arms. She told me he just might not wake up for his next feeding because of the time I took away from him sleeping. Well, guess what? He woke up way earlier than he was supposed to-rooting and wanting to nurse, of course they wouldn't let me nurse him because I could only do it once every 12 hours. The funny thing is, they wanted him in his bed so he could sleep but every time I put him in there and patted his back until he fell asleep the loud nurse would wake him up, They were so loud that night, looking things up on Ebay, and doing all other sorts of things. Because of them, the loud machines, and the fact that he was probably wanting to nurse a lot like most newborns do, Eli could not sleep. It was then that I knew I had to get him out of that place. He did not belong. I stayed with him until I was literally falling out of my chair then realizng I had a big fight ahead of me the next day, I decided I needed to go to bed. Leaving him that night was the hardest thing I have ever done. Before I left I apologized to the nurse I yelled at even though I was so glad I did, she did not bug me the rest of the night. She told me there was no way Eli would be going home the next day and I knew the nurses had a huge say in that so I started kissing up. I even sent her a flower with a sorry card down with the breast milk I pumped. The next morning there was another nurse, a nice nurse who thought Eli had no reason to be there anymore. The whole morning was tense as we waited to talk to the doctor, we didn't know if we would be discharged without our baby. But finally, the doctor told us we could bring him home! We were so happy I started crying and Rory and I just hugged eachother. They made us watch this CPR movie before we could take him but I said, "That's fine I will just take him in there with us and nurse him."
Right now I could not feel any happier. I am just so thankful for our friends and familiy who did so much for us and prayed for us. Being home with my 3 boys is the greatest feeling in the world.
Here are a few pictures right after Eli was born. He already looks completely different and pictures really just don't show how cute he is. Don't mind the way I look-my eyes are still working on their de-puffing. Sadly, our camera broke in the hospital so I don't have more recent photos but I will get some.

20 comments:
Lori, that is awful! I'm glad you had the guts to tell off that nurse, because if it were me, I would WANT to, but I would chicken out. Good for you! I'm glad you get to be home finally and I hope you all continue to do well! We love you.
What a terrible way to start off such a happy experience. You should definitely write a letter or call the hospital and complain about that nurse, she needs someone to put her in her place and it shouldn't have to be the new moms. I would be so bothered if someone was telling me how to feed and burp my SECOND child... Little Eli looks so cute, I'm glad he's finally home. I hope all is well.
sorry you had such a bad experience in the nicu. most people do. just relize that many nurses are just doing their job and don't get many people like you who want to be a mom even when your child is in the nicu. glad you stood up for yourself. but more glad you guys are finally home. you have been in our prayers and still are.
I know what you're saying Meg, I had to keep telling myself she was just trying to be helpful. Most of the nurses there were very good, and did a great job, I could really tell they love their job. Even my personal nurses were amazing! I just had one bad one who really was a nice person, just a bossy know-it-all. I just feel for the people who have to have their babies there long-term!
Thank goodness you are home now and that everything turned out okay! We have been thinking about you guys and keeping you in our prayers!
Its too bad you had such a horrible experience in the NICU...I have to ask: which hospital were you in? When Emery was born, we had her at Ogden Regional and we had some issues with the nurses as well--although it was nothing like your experience!
Eli is darling and you look beautiful in your hospital pictures! Not fair! When things calm down we still need to get together.
Oh my gosh Lori.. that nurse sounds like a nightmare! The mother always knows best for her child. I am so sorry that happened to you. Where did you deliver? Eli is so cute! How is Kaemon doing with a new baby around?
Wow. What a traumatic experience. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Thankfully everything turned out well and baby Eli is finally home.
He's a beautiful baby. Congrats on your new addition!
You are such a trooper!! And Eli is so cute!! I love how Kaemon kept saying "baby!!", how cute is he? I think you have the world's cutest babies :) (I tried to think of another word besides cute but I just couldn't make my brain work this at 7;45 in the morning apparently) Oh, and since I'm delivering there, I'm thinking you should tell me the name of the nurse so I can not get her because I have a problem when people are like that with me and I don't have as much guts as you do, I wish I did :(
Good for you for sticking up for you and Eli! I think the only way I could do that would be when it comes to my own kids. That's where you have to be a stickler to what you know what's best for them, regardless of what the professionals think. How frustrating, though. I'm excited to see your experiences having two kids, I can't imagine having more than Shiloh. We want another one, I just can't imagine what it would be like. You really do have adorable sons. Actually, all of us from that area seem to have exceptionally cute children, don't you think? :) Good ol' Layton water. So happy for you guys!
No offense to anyone who is a nurse who may read this. But I didn't have the greatest experiences with very many nurses when I had George! Some of them were WAY too bossy and kind of know-it-alls. As for you nice nurses out there - thanks! Anyway, it is so good to hear that you and Eli are doing well! Congrats!
At least you didn't have Angelina the great! I crave Eli.
Hey guys...CONGRATS! He is absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait to meet him in person! I am so sorry for all that you had to go through...but am so thankful that he is home with you. He came on the perfect day (my birthday!!!! ha ha ha) We will be calling you to come visit!!!! Love you all tons!!!
Glad to hear everything is OK. Congratulations you guys!
TAG!! You're it!! Hey girl, I tagged you so you better do it when you're not too busy with life :)
Hello this is DeAnna Cluff. My husband is Josh Cluff (40). We are happy to hear that your baby boy is healthy and home now. We had a little girl on May 3rd, so they are very close together! We have 2 boys and so a girl is fun for a change. You have such a cute family good luck with everything!
I'm so happy for you guys and that everything is ok with little Eli! That must have been so frustrating, but I'm glad it all worked out. Yeah I can't believe that I've got 6 weeks left...so crazy! I'm having a shower, I think the first weekend in June. You'll have to get me your address so I can get an invite to you! Congrats again!!
Hey Lori, I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience in the NICU. Just being in the NICU with my sister these last couple of months I totally know what you are talking about. It really depends on the nurse you get because they have so much say and are very opinionated. Anyway I am glad your little sweetie is home with you now, I hope everything is good. Love Hailey
Hey Lori! I found your blog through Cami's and I'm so glad because I've wanted to see your new little baby! He's adorable! Your experience with the nurses has me a little nervous to be delivering at Ogden Regional. I'm so sad you had to go through that on top of worrying about the baby being in NICU! I've always been at McKay Dee and now we've switched insurances. I'm just so glad your home and things are going well. Can't wait to see Eli!
Hey Lori,this is Hailey's sister that has her twins in the NICU at ORMC. What was your nurses' name? I am sad to say that now I know every nurse there and I get along with some better than others also. As we speak I am home with our other daughter taking a break from the NICU trips. The girls have been there for 65 days and I have been up 2 times a day since they were born minus about 2 times. Anyway I would love to know who your nurse was, I bet I could have a few guesses! Congrats on the new baby,he is so cute and I am sure you are so glad to be home!
Ya there are actually 3 Tammy's that work there. I think the one you are talking about is the bigger of the two "big Tammy's"-Oh wow I am rude! Anyway if she is the one I am thinking of she has the long hair not the short hair, right! She is pretty loud and very opinionated, weird they all do which is part of the reason I am taking a break right now for a few days. I am sick of hearing that me, their mother, am going to hurt them if I hold them longer than they would like me to!
Post a Comment