CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

More Reason To Worry



Before Eli's appointment we kept praying that the Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialist would be able to find out what's wrong with him and know how to treat him. So I guess I can say that it went well in that regard. The news we got was a little shocking. After telling the ENT specialist everything that has been bothering me about Eli he stuck some tubes down his nose to make sure the airways worked. Then, upon hearing his cry, decided to have a look into his throat. A nurse came in and helped me hold the poor little wailing, (if you could call it that) baby. He looked down and stated, "Yes, he has vocal cord paralysis". I gasped, "What!?" He then asked me if Eli had been intubated (tubes stuck down his throat), had a tramatic birth, or had any other procedures, to which I answered no. He then said, "hold on a minute." I could hear him right when he got outside the door say, "Page Dr. So and So right away." He left me in the room for what I considered a long time, and I got thinking about Eli never having a normal voice and how hard this would be for him and I just started bawling. After I composed myself he came back in the room and continued telling me that his left vocal cord is not moving. I asked if it could heal and he said he didn't know because he did not know what was causing it. So then he told me that Eli would need to have a brain MRI to check for hydrocephaly (water on the brain) or other brain abnormalities. He also said he'd have to be put under so he wanted us to take him to Primary Childrens. Then came the tears again. He just seems way too little to be put under! So his receptionist called to make the appointment and they were completely booked until mid-July. She was telling them that it was not soon enough but there was nothing they could do. After I left, she called to say they would fit him in next Friday!

After his appointment I was talking to Rory and telling him everything the Doctor and I had talked about and the subject of intubating came up. Rory told me that Eli was intubated at least 3 times! It was right after he was born and I guess I was out of it or something. I guess sometimes when that happens they can actually hit the vocal cord and cause the paralysis. I know this is horrible, but I really hope this is the case. If it is, then there is a good chance it will heal itself, and if not there is a surgery that can repair it somewhat. I guess David Archuleta had this when he was younger, and look at him now! While these are excellent reasons the main reason I really want it to be caused by this is because the other option is that it could be caused by a brain tumor. Hence the MRI.

I did not know that one of the functions of the vocal cords is to block fluid from entering into the lungs. This explains his hard time eating, breathing sometimes, etc. For this reason they had us take him to get his chest X-rayed. Our week has been crazy especially yesterday. Rory and Kaemon have both been very sick, Rory has been going to school every night so I feel like a single mom, and just the worry about Eli. I decided today the boys and I were just going to stay home and rest all day. But I got a call from the nurse saying I needed to get Eli in right away because it was likely that he had pneumonia. So I had to load them up, lug them both into the hospital to get a copy of the X-ray, and while I was there a nun yelled in the meanest voice, "slow down! He can' t keep up with you!" referring to Kaemon. If only she knew he prefers to run! I also had to wait by this old couple who were obviously hard of hearing because they were discussing with eachother why I had two babies so close together like I was not even there. Anyway, it turns out he does not have pneumonia, YAY! And after consulting with his Pediatrician, Dr. Pruitt, he feels very confident that it was the intubation that would have caused the paralysis. But obviously we are going to have the MRI done just to make sure. Other than all this Eli is perfectly healthy! He is turning into a little chubster. He is such a special little baby. I have met a ton of people the past couple of days and so many of them told me how sweet he is and that he just has a sweet presence. I guess we will just take it one step at a time. He had a blessing before his appointment that said through time and medical help that he would fully recover, and I truly believe that he will.

13 comments:

Adventures of Matt and Rae said...

Lori, I'm so sorry, if there is anything I can do to help please let me know! I will keep your family in my prayers!

Amy said...

We love you guys and will keep praying for little Eli!!

Nisa and Colby said...

Lori, I am so sorry. That is awful. I'm sorry that we have been playing phone tag. Let me know if you need anything. I'll talk to ya later. Love ya tons!

Becky said...

Wow, that is so scary! I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope everything turns out well for him. And I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. I'm thinking of you and praying that everything will be okay!

Bean said...

Wow! I am sorry to hear you guys have had such a hard time with your little guy. I hope he fully recovers and we will keep him in our prayers. The good news is that you have the power of the priesthood in your home and that you have faith that he can be healed. Thats the best medicine you could ever have. We will put his name in the temple if we go this week.

The Obergs said...

geez as if you weren't going through enough you were harassed by a nun and a thoughtless couple too. Sometimes I wonder about people...

It sounds like things are looking on the bright side though, I have high hopes that all will go well for cute baby eli. We'll keep him in our prayers.

Cami said...

I was almost in tears reading this, until I got to the part about the nun.. then I started to laugh because I can picture your annoyed look on your face you get! Anyway, I agree that Eli has a special little countenance! Seems like he has been a part of the fam forever!

Cami said...

P.s. Dave and I think Eli looks like a Sumo Wrestler.

Carrie said...

I'm actually also fearing a little of the same with what you are dealing with! We're also watching for water on the brain with our new baby still inside. . .it's so horrible not knowing if it will or will not be ok. You guys are in our prayers. We're all just hoping for the best. . .it's crazy how you take some things for granted until the scary stuff starts to happen. It's a miracle these little babies are ever even conceived let alone born healthy! Let us know what you find out! Eli is an angel. Addi has been praying for him and it's the sweetest thing for me to hear a two year olds voice say "bless Eli".

Melanie said...

Oh your little guy is so so cute! I was just reading your blog and looking at cute pics of Eli for like half hour! I am sorry for all you have been through! I hope everything is ok! We will definitely pray for you! Also we need to see you guys so lets get together sometime when life is not quite as hectic for you! We LOVE you guys!

Josh said...

So sorry to hear Eli is going through such a rough time. We'll be praying for everything to be okay. If there is anything we can do for you guys just let us know. You can even drop Kaemon off on your way to Primary Children's since we're on your way. I bet he'd have a great time with Ian and Amelia. Just let us know whatever we can do to help.

Erin said...

I was thinking about you on Wednesday and hoping everything would be ok. I'm so glad it'll all work out, what would we do without the comfort of blessings? What a rough road, though, this past week. Emotional roller coaster. I was almost crying just thinking about you crying at the Dr.'s office. People always raise their eyebrows when kids are close together, you can almost see them trying to do the math. To heck with 'em! You guys know what's best for you, the Lord didn't say "multiply and replenish, but not any more often than every two years". And you're an amazing mom to both your special boys.
Utah nuns, you don't see one of those everyday. Good for you for not pushing her over.

Ryan and Shalee said...

Holy Cow you have been through a lot. I have been meaning to call you this week too so I guess it was a good thing my week turned crazy as well. My best days are Saturdays so when you have one open please please call me. I feel like I keep buggin. I hope to hear from you soon.