CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Nervous Wreck


Elijah is growing very fast, he's 6 weeks old today and he is getting cuter and cuter every day. He has been smiling a ton lately, he loves to be talked to. He is really happy, but he's been having some issues. He seems to have a hard time breathing lately. When he eats, he makes this high pitched wheezing noise like he can't get air, then he swollows a ton of air through his nose, which makes it hard to swallow food, which makes him very frustrated, and he has to burp after just a few seconds of eating. Very frustrating-especially when I am nursing in front of people. He also does not cry loud. He used to-but now you can be sitting right next to him, look at him and realize that he is really upset and you didn't even know. When people hold him or are around him they will always comment about it and how they would freak out if they were his mom and he sounded like that... I have taken him to the doctor twice. The first time I went to this lady who made me feel better about it, but pretty much did nothing. She told me that since he was 3 weeks early his muscle tone in his throat of some flappy thing was not very strong and sometimes it flops over and makes it hard to breathe. SHe gave me a few suggestions and I went on my way. Well, he did not improve and I knew something was very wrong. I took him back to his normal pediatrician and he was very proactive. After explaining to him what happens he listened to him and stated that his cry was the saddest cry he'd ever heard. (I really need to record it). He told me he was pretty worried. He said Eli's chest is perfectly clear, but that there's something going on in his throat. He explained what the other doctor told me, but then he also said he thought it could be other things. The number one thing on his list was acid reflux. Which confused me because Eli has spit up like a total of 5 times since birth. But he said that was not necessarily a symptom. He explained that the acid could be coming up and damaging the vocal cord and also, it would explain the hard time he has nursing and the wheezing noise he makes. So he prescribed prevacid. He also said he could have a hole in the trachial something rather- which is more dangerous. He also suggested Eli go on an oxygen monitor so I could get some sleep at night. He's been taking the prevacid and has been doing better, he eats better, and sleeps better. I'm still not sleeping so well. I sit up and listen to him breathe. When he makes a peep-I freak out, when he doesn't make a peep-I freak out even more. The oxygen monitor tells me that he is consistently getting enough oxygen, but he still sounds like he has labored breathing, or maybe like there is fluid in there or something. He has an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat specialist on wednesday and I am just praying that he will be able to find out what's wrong with the little guy. I know this was very long, I am just hoping someone, anyone will give me some insight.

11 comments:

The Porter Family said...

That is so sad! I hope everything goes well at his next appt. You are doing everything right by following your instincts and taking him into the doctor and a specialist. Keep us updated on how everything goes! We will keep him in our prayers.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, Lor, you poor thing. We get up and check on our kids enough as it is, you must not be sleeping at all. Shiloh had this chest cold thing for like 3 weeks after he participated in a study (the doctor's staff thought I was a freak reading every word of the consent/information packet they gave me and asking a billion questions, and pretty much biting my nails off as they were giving him the immunization for the study) and he would crawl around and act normal but he just sounded like he had a TON of junk in his lungs, and I blamed myself, of course. Hopefully at the Ear, Nose and Throat place they'll be able to find out exactly what's causing Eli's labored breathing. It's the worst wanting to help them feel better and not being able to. You're such a strong mom, we're rootin' for you guys! (wow, "rootin'" takes on a whole new meaning now that we've had babies, but you know what I mean). Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

its sad that a machine to track our kid still doesn't bring us peace of mind even though we can see it is working. i feel they make it worse because you worry if the machine is actually working. i remember with lyd how scary it was. hang in there! i am so grateful we live in a time where we have the technology and great doctors and specialists. knowing that brings me alot of peace of mind!
it was so fun seeing ya'll this past time we came up! thanks for being there! you have a beautiful family!

Becky said...

I wish I could give you some insight, but I'm not familiar with any of that with kids! I'm sorry. IF he ever has asthma though, I could give you some great advice. I'm really sorry though. Let us know how the appt. on wednesday goes.
p.s. I love your family pictures.

Ashley and Devan said...

Poor Eli! What ENT is he going to? I work for the best ENT in the Ogden/Layton area. He is really really good. His name is Michael Schuller. Let me know who you are going to because I know who is good and who is not so good. I could always squeeze Eli right in to Dr Scheuller if you want. Let me know! : ) Good luck! I'll keep him in my prayers.

Ashley and Devan said...

Lori,
Yes the one I work for is really good. He is in McKay Dee Hospital. I will e-mail you my number and we could get Eli in on Tuesday I'm sure. Dr. Scheuller works on Mondays.

The Obergs said...

Lori, I'm sorry, I don't have any insight at all, but I do hope that you get some answers after you doctors appt. on wed. I don't blame you for freaking out about his situation, I would be the same way. Good luck!

By the way, I love your family collage and I'm very impressed with the pictures you took for Becky's engagements. They look great, she's such a beautiful girl.

Adventures of Matt and Rae said...

Oh that's so sad, I hope he is feeling better. I hope you're getting more rest as well. I can't believe that I'm going to have a little one this week!

Camille said...

Lori, oh my gosh! I am so sorry about all this . . . I hope that they can figure some things out tomorrow . . . I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Carrie said...

Oh Lori! I can't even imagine what you're going through. I'm worried for you. I hope you got some answers today - I think waiting and wonder what's wrong is the worst! Your little family is in our prayers. If you'd ever let me take Kaemon so you could get some sleep- I'd be so happy to! Keep us updated!

The Sayamas said...

Thank you so much everyone for your comments and concern!!